Monday, August 18, 2008

NBC is ruining the Olympics

Several years ago NBC paid an exorbitant amount of money for the exclusive TV rights to the Olympic games. With its stable of cable channels and 24 hour Internet access NBC advertised that they would have 3600 hours of coverage. They failed to mention that it would be 3600 hours of awful coverage.

First of all I understand that NBC can't control a 15 hour time difference. What they can do is show me live events as they happen. They had the entire Olympics rescheduled just so they could televise gymnastics, swimming and other top sports live. Unfortunately, they meant only live on the east coast. For those of us on the west coast, we get a tape delay.

This is nothing new for us west coasters, we generally get everything on tape delay. Everything but top sporting events and the Oscars. If only the Olympics were important enough to equal the Oscars. They only happen every four years, that's not that special.

So while the rest of the country was enjoying Michael Phelps amazing feats live, I was watching ESPN waiting for an update about an event that I would have to wait three hours to see. By the way, NBC has the audacity to leave that "Live" marker in the corner to mock me. The only time anything is ever actually live is at 2 in the morning when they're showing women's handball.

I love the Olympics. I love the spectacle, the sports, and the stories. All I want is for NBC to consider allowing me the privilege of enjoying it live.

No comments: