Monday, July 16, 2007

Best concert ever?

A fake New York City, two pianos and a bunch of drunken people.

What sounds like a really horrible date, ended up being one of my favorite concerts of all time. Sure I have been to a few real concerts. I saw the Gin Blossoms and R.E.M. (great show) in Devore and Weezer and Dashboard Confessional in Irvine (Weezer was beyond great). But this experience was just... different.

Back in April I took a long needed vacation to Las Vegas and I was looking for something to do (I don’t gamble and can’t afford to see a show there... $100 for Blue Man Group? I think not.). I had heard about this place at the New York New York Hotel that was supposed to be pretty cool and free. They call it the “Dueling Pianos.”

Yeah, I didn’t out too much faith into it either. As I was walking in the direction of the bar the concert was located I heard the opening bars of Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar on me” and it sounded just off the CD quality. As I get closer I realize that the music is not coming from a CD player, rather just two pianos.

That’s right. Two guys playing two pianos were playing (and singing) “Pour Some Sugar on me” almost perfectly. The bar was packed with tons of people singing along. The great thing about the bar was that it was an open air one, so even standing outside of it you can hear and see everything just as you could inside.

I sat town at a table right outside and there I stayed for almost two hours. These two piano players would take ANY request, no matter how odd. They even played the Norte Dame Football fight song.

My personal favorite was the almost dead on version of Bon Jovi’s “Living on a Prayer,” which had every person within a 50 foot radius singing along.

Most great concerts are a one time thing. This one can be seen all the time in Vegas.

No comments: