Friday, February 9, 2007

A review of 'The Queen' review

I have a confession to make.

I really didn’t want to see “The Queen” and write a review of it for our Oscar special. I did everything I could to try to avoid doing it. I even tried to subtly manipulate others into doing it.
It’s not that I have anything against the movie or the people involved, the movie was great and I did enjoy it. It’s just that I equate the death of Princess Diana with something horrible that happened in my life and reminders of that subject bring up bad memories.

Crazy, eh?

In the days leading up to Diana’s car accident my mother was in the hospital after having a heart attack. The doctors told us that she had congestive heart failure. At the time it didn’t look good and I was very depressed. The day of Diana’s accident, my friends decided to take me out for the night as a well needed distraction. I felt horrible and a little guilty for having fun while my mother was in a hospital bed, but I was going stir crazy sitting at home.
I remember it was late when I got home. My sister’s room was right next to the front door and as I walked in I heard the scariest words I have ever heard to this day.

“She died,” my sister said.

I had completely forgotten about Diana that night and thought she was talking about my mother. I really can’t explain with the proper words how I felt that exact second those words were uttered. When I used to hear people talking about having a broken heart I would roll my eyes, but that is the best way to explain how I felt that moment. It really felt like my heart broke and I couldn’t move at all. I wouldn’t say I was stunned, but I just didn’t know what to do.
I don’t remember how I figured out it was Diana and not my mother. I do remember not watching any news coverage about the death, funeral etc. So seeing “The Queen” was like seeing the news coverage for the first time.

I did enjoy the film, but I am also reminded how I felt for those few seconds almost 10 years ago.

http://media.www.viewpointsonline.org/media/storage/paper753/news/2007/02/12/Inscape/Oscar.Preview.the.Queen-2710162.shtml

No comments: